Skip to main content

Can't write, must play Pillars of Eternity

OMFG, I've barely started the game and I'm already hooked and feeling alt-oholic.

I only looked at character generation and the first few minutes of play last night, as I can't afford to miss a day of work just for a new game any more. But I'm already sure that this game is living up to high expectations. It's not perfect, there are some flaws that Rock, Paper, Shotgun already did a good job describing, but this is better than many of the game I've paid $60 for over the years.

Going to be hard to tear myself away long enough to keep my wife and toddler from getting upset at me this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like Nintendo may have gotten their head back into daylight this time

The Wii U was (IMO) a dumb idea that (factually) tanked, evidence that Nintendo had no clue how to follow up what made the Wii a breakthrough product. But it looks like they may have figured out what they are doing right with the 3DS, and how to really cash in on the new trend toward multiscreen entertainment at home without being needlessly expensive, asymmetrically lame on multiplayer, and totally separate from their successful handhelds. http://kotaku.com/heres-your-first-look-at-the-nx-nintendos-upcoming-con-1788004927

Stellaris: Post-Honeymoon Review and Musings

If you're a TL;DR sort of person, here you go: Stellaris is not a 4X game at all. Its core design goes a completely different direction. It has some cool bits in it that will probably catch on in future 4X games, and by using mods to tune it I got a hundred or so hours of fun out of it before the honeymoon wore off, but in the long run it will likely be remembered as a non-4X game that was nonetheless a good influence on the genre. To go into more depth for those inclined: Pre-release, the big excitement about Stellaris was the hope for innovation in a 4X in ways to make the late game less of a grind - that period when you know you've won but the mechanics of getting the victory screen will take hours more. This was a bit of marketing poetry, or maybe outright disingenuous. At its core, Stellaris is not a 4X game. It's a pretty standard Paradox set-piece grand strategy game with a "1X" game bolted on the beginning to substitute for the real-world history t...

This sounds pretty amazing, unique, and intriguing

This sounds really amazing - something like Eternal Darkness only not horrific, in that the game reaches out from the screen to interact with the player out of character. In ED that deepened the horror and provided comic relief simultaneously; this sounds like it might feel differently to different people but still very cool I don't need to repeat the RPS article, I'll just link to it. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/12/oneshot-review/