Skip to main content

This article didn't quite change my life, but it was the most worthwhile thing I've read in a while

I like the games I like, and I'm no longer in the business of making games, so in many ways this article is not to my address.

But it was still really worth my time to read carefully. It never gets anywhere near the stupid misogynistic pseudo-editorial "defense of games" crap that I'm not naming to avoid the still-raging humans pretending to be flamebots, and it comes from the opposite, and very constructive direction.

And it quotes Tim Gunn more than once, in a very on-topic way. Tim Gunn is an awesome individual, even though I doubt he's ever been in the same room as a videogame for long.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-07-video-games-are-boring

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guild Wars 2 (developers who pay attention)

After playing MMOs as old as EverQuest and Ultima Online, through various other games including WoW, Rift, and EVE Online, I've come to appreciate that most MMOs are aimed at very specific sorts of players or even specific ways to get people to pay money. Only a few, of which Rift deserves honorable mention but Guild Wars 2 is the extreme standout, show a great deal of thought as to what is fun for many different types of player, and consequent design features that provide for most or all of those player types. GW2 is particularly notable in that I find what I do in a play session is almost completely determined by what I'm in the mood to to do. It does not take hours of exclusive dungeon crawling to get gear useful in harder dungeons; players who focus on or exclusively play in the RvR (called "WvW" because the competition is between servers, not between game factions) areas do not acquire gear that makes mostly-PvE players unable to compete with them, and the struc

OK, Blogger is Moribund

Can't delete a spam comment, the UI for it is gone but the hell still says to look in the old place. Mobile UI is a mess, desktop UI doesn't work on Android. G+ seems to be on its way to shutting down. I loathe Facebook as a company and distrust giving them and chance to run code on my property. Google can't be trusted to leave a working product alone and working. Sigh.