Skip to main content

Galciv 3

This one is a credible improvement in the series, even if the hyped up ship model building doesn't mean much (the actual ship design process and results are really unchanged from galciv 2, what's new there are just more cosmetic options).

The big meaningful changes are in the planetary economic model. Buildings are located in specific hexes on a randomized planet map, with adjacency bonuses that make clusters of related buildings important. Since even excellent planets have more unusable than usable hexes, it adds real depth to growth planning. And shifting all building bonuses to percentages makes the base population more important and population buildings as desirable as production or research or money.

The new scheme for shipyards is also a good idea that meshes well with the revised planetary economics, and the full integration of racial tech tech trees and the cleaned up alignment system work really well.

All that said, the game pace and flow are pretty similar to the rest of the series. Since my biggest complaint with galciv 2, even after the expansions, was how very blandly similar every game felt by mid game, with many hours left to play, I approached this one with low expectations.

I'm happy to say that I've gotten more out of galciv 3 than I expected; custom races and the variety of victory conditions have kept it interesting for several games. I think it will still eventually have the problem, but getting old after 100 or 200 hours is a very different beast than after only 40.

And one thing that's definitely great about Stardock is the quality; what was sold as a finished game really was finished, with no obvious bugs or horrible play problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like Nintendo may have gotten their head back into daylight this time

The Wii U was (IMO) a dumb idea that (factually) tanked, evidence that Nintendo had no clue how to follow up what made the Wii a breakthrough product. But it looks like they may have figured out what they are doing right with the 3DS, and how to really cash in on the new trend toward multiscreen entertainment at home without being needlessly expensive, asymmetrically lame on multiplayer, and totally separate from their successful handhelds. http://kotaku.com/heres-your-first-look-at-the-nx-nintendos-upcoming-con-1788004927

Stellaris: Post-Honeymoon Review and Musings

If you're a TL;DR sort of person, here you go: Stellaris is not a 4X game at all. Its core design goes a completely different direction. It has some cool bits in it that will probably catch on in future 4X games, and by using mods to tune it I got a hundred or so hours of fun out of it before the honeymoon wore off, but in the long run it will likely be remembered as a non-4X game that was nonetheless a good influence on the genre. To go into more depth for those inclined: Pre-release, the big excitement about Stellaris was the hope for innovation in a 4X in ways to make the late game less of a grind - that period when you know you've won but the mechanics of getting the victory screen will take hours more. This was a bit of marketing poetry, or maybe outright disingenuous. At its core, Stellaris is not a 4X game. It's a pretty standard Paradox set-piece grand strategy game with a "1X" game bolted on the beginning to substitute for the real-world history t...

GW2 Heart of Thorns, after some serious play time

The first week or two after Heart of Thorns went live, I was a bit disappointed. Playing on, first because four of my friends and I always play together on Mondays, I got a little more of a philosophical handle on how the expansion changes the game, and I'm no longer ambivalent about having bought it - I love some parts, and I just had to learn that the "different kinds of fun as you feel like it" game design is now painted in broader strokes - especially you should only go into one of the new zones if you feel like the activity that is going on in it. Roughly speaking, HoT adds four things to the game: A new character class, a new "elite" subclass for each class, a new form of progression at L80, and a bunch of new zones with their story. Of these, the zones are the most visible and important, and the mastery tracks are the most novel and IMO successful, so I'll leave those for last. In thinking about these changes together, I think I see a philosophica...